Wednesday 27 June 2012

Cruel to be kind? Did Shakespeare (and Nick Lowe) have it wrong?

On days like today, and by this I mean shitty days, you really have to step back and ask: why does everyone suck so much?
Okay, okay, perhaps you ask yourself in a more mature and scholarly way... or maybe you don't. Either way, we are all inevitably faced with this question, because we are all inevitably faced with unkind people.
Now, instead of forcing you to trudge through internet complaining (we save that for facebook, don't we?), I have decided to share a story. This story will not be the greatest story ever told; however, it is the nicest story I have. Instead of complaining about the atrocity that is humanity I am choosing to share with you the nicest thing anyone ever did for me.

Last year, during a particularly difficult week at work (I work with people non-stop so when it is hard, it is oh so hard!), I was pretty down. When I say down, I mean genuinely down; everybody kind of notices there isn't that pep in my step, and I just can't be bothered to get dressed (and accessorize, personal blasphemy), rather do anything productive. It was also hard because it was my first Christmas alone without a roommate or family. Now, now don't pity me too much, my family lives up the road and overall everything was still amazing. Regardless, I was excited to get my own little tree, my own Christmas lights, my own decorations. The unfortunate thing was that I literally had zero time to do this. I was at work until the sun rose until far after it set (and this is Canada in Decemeber, which means it set at 3pm). I also had a lot of things going on within my job (that always comes home with me), and complete uncertainty about whether I would have a job the next week. Needless to say I was experiencing typical North American woes--  I feel like this all warrants a "#firstworldproblems" in twitter land.
Anyyyyyways, regardless of how minute the problems seem now, they were epic back then. And everyone knew it. They offered their kindness and sympathies BUT it was my most amazingly righteous mother that did what I believe will go down in history as the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me.
I came home. Got through the two outside doors to my little first floor apartment. Immediately I noticed something-- there was an adorable door decoration hanging on number 4, my own door. This was around 7pm, and I hadn't been home since 7 am. I was carrying groceries from the totally overpriced local Metro, but stopped dead when I saw this door hanger. It was a snowman holding a "Welcome" sign. Of course I was so curious. I unlocked the door. To my complete surprise my entire apartment had been decorated with the cutest Christmas decs! There was a little tree (rosemary actually-- herbs make evvvvverything better). There were cute little candle holders. There was even a damn Christmas table runner! (I didn't even know what table runners were, but love love love them now). Not only had she decorated the place adorably, but she also left a "Christmas" bar of chocolate with a bow on it... knowing that during these times, anything sweet helps!
There it is. The nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. Amazing, yes? Of course I could do a whole separate blog about how amazing my mother is. She just got herself a laptop, maybe I will share this link with her and she will actually read this. She is really good at forwarding joke emails so following a blog couldn't be far off, right? :  )
Overall, when people are cruel, inconsiderate, or uncaring, I try to think of a story that can counterbalance all the shit. This is usually my default. Hopefully all of you have that one story.
And now, to return to my title- I give you my favourite version of "Cruel to be Kind", the 90's female fronted version (note: my favourite version will always be a 90's female fronted version IF there is one).

No comments:

Post a Comment