Thursday 19 July 2012

A teeny tiny tutorial

Hi, hi, hi! Hope all is well. It definitely is avec moi! I leave in a couple of hours to lovely Ottawa. Very pumped.
Alright, so I have a few pictures stacking up. I wanted to share a few product reviews I have as well as post a very tiny tutorial on DIP DYING (also known as the thing I am going to do to all my clothes if I am not careful with my obsession!).
I was introduced to this trend a hundred thousand years ago (excuse the hyperbole) by Joe Fresh. Damn Joe, so up on the times. However, in more recent months I have seen this trend pop up on almost every fashion blog, and  Romwe. I was super inspired by the amazing Rachel Arielle with her fantastic tutorial on dip dying tights (I am so doing this for fall!).
For my first attempt I simply tried dip dying with bleach on blank jersey fabric. 

Needed: * Bleach * Bowl * Garment (remember to slightly dilute your bleach as well)

Technically the first area you dip should come out as your lightest... for some reason that didn't really happen with me.
 I prefer the more gradient or ombre look so I added more fabric in stages. I also found it helpful to gather the skirt in a bouquet style before dipping; this led to a more gradual effect.

 I really enjoy the finished product. Obviously the longer you leave the fabric in the bleach and the less you dilute it with water, the lighter it becomes. I was rather impatient as I had a fantastic punk rock show to get myself to.

 The way the evening went I ended up with zero pictures of me actually wearing the skirt. It was cute. I liked it. I will be dipping some jeans once this absolutely ridiculous heat wave ends (yes, I believe it is going on 2 and a half weeks). 

Miss you already.

 P.S Isn't my basement such a wonderful example of weird Dexter-esque chic? I know. I especially love my crazy dog lady poster that lovingly hangs above our wash tub.

No comments:

Post a Comment